“It was up to him to pay back to the world in beauty and caring what Leslie had loaned him in vision and strength." – Katherine Paterson
In This Kit You’ll Find:
- 8 copies of Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
- 5 copies of Frog and Toad are Friends by Arnold Lobel
- 1 copy of Bridge to Terabithia DVD
- 1 copy of the discussion questions (you may keep)
- Book sign-up sheet to keep track of books (you may keep)
- Jess & Leslie Family Comparison Worksheets (you may keep)
- Frogs vs. Toads Worksheets (you may keep)
Themes for Discussion:
- Friendship and building lasting relationships, bullying, the power of imagination, loss & loneliness, overcoming fears, coping with tragedy
About the Book:
Jess and Leslie are two fifth graders in rural Virginia who form an unlikely friendship. As an escape from the pressures and hardships of school and family life, Jess and Leslie create the imaginary land of Terabithia in the woods near their homes. In their secret world, they successfully battle their enemies and rule as king and queen. When a terrible tragedy occurs, Jess realizes how much Leslie has taught him about friendship and relationships. (Walden Media/Walt Disney Pictures)
You’ll Like It If You Like:
Emotionally intense and realistic stories, reading about imaginations and fantasy worlds, classics, and developing friendships
Read Together, Grades 4 - 5; Read Alone, Grades 4 - 6 (ages 9 - 12)
Fun things To Do & Explore at Your Book Club:
- Watch: The film, Bridge to Terabithia (DVD included in kit bag) & compare the characters and events to what you envisioned while reading the book.
- Research: Check out stopbullying.org to read about what you can do, as a kid, to prevent bullying.
- Create: Build your own bridge using popsicle sticks or draw your version of what Terabithia looks like, share with your group
- Write: Using the worksheets included in the kit, compare Jess and Leslie's family situations. Discuss and answer the questions included on the worksheets.
- Make: Leslie & Jess liked to bring portable snacks like crackers & dried fruit to Terabithia. Find some delicious trail mix recipes to make to fuel your own adventures
- Frog & Toad Are Friends Readers: Our differences make our friendships stronger. Using the worksheets included in the kit, compare how frogs and toads are different based on their actions in the book.
What to read next:
Kid Reviews: Let us know what you thought about Bridge to Terabithia.