Talk, Sing, Read, Write, Play
Encourage Literacy Skills
Research shows that ages 0-5 are the most important time for children to develop their brains & attitudes towards reading.
- Books that Inspire Talking Talking with children is one of the best ways to help them learn new words & information
- Books for Singing Together Singing develops language skills. It slows down language so children can hear the different sounds
- Books to Read with Your Child Reading together develops vocabulary, nurtures a love for reading, and motivates children to want to learn to read
- Books that Promote Writing Scribbling & writing help children learn that written words stand for spoken language
- Books that Encourage Playing Playing helps children put thoughts into words
*Tip* Not every child will sit and listen to stories. Try reading aloud while they are playing nearby. They are still building early literacy skills as they sit nearby!
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
South Coastal Library
Follow the 1000 Books before Kindergarten program with the South Coastal Library. For every 100 books read, you earn a free board book. Download your reading log and details on South Coastal Public Library's site.
Monday - Milton 6 PM (0-2y)
Saturday - South Coastal 9:30 AM (0-5y)
LEAP & PAWS Partnerships for Early Literacy & Learning
Join a PAWS (Paws for People) or LEAP (Literacy Education Assistance Pup) dog at a Sussex County Library near you for a one-on-one, nonjudgemental reading session. Children may practice their reading skills for the specially trained dogs and their handlers.
Find a PAWS or LEAP dog reading session at the following Libraries:
Story Times in Sussex Libraries
There's an early literacy program to fit every schedule. Find the right story time for you:
Mondays: 10:30 AM (4-6 yo) @ Rehoboth Public Library
Tuesdays: 10 AM Selbyville Public Library, 10:30 AM Lewes & Milford Public Libraries, 11 AM Bridgeville & Frankford Public Libraries, 4:30 PM (K & UP) Seaford Public Library, 6 PM Greenwood Public Library
Saturdays: 9:30 AM S. Coastal Public Library (0-5 yo)